Our School - School Overview
St. Therese's School is situated in Essendon, an established residential north western suburb of Melbourne.
Archbishop Mannix officially opened the Church on March 11th, 1923 and the school opened for 30 pupils on April 9th, 1923. The Parish was first named St Teresa's after St Teresa of Avila, until St Therese, the Little Flower, was beatified on March 17th, 1925. After this, the Parish came under the patronage of St. Therese.
Our present student population, as at February census, was 545. The school currently comprises 21 classes and we are 3 stream across the board. All classrooms are well equipped with a range of ICT equipment.
At present, there are approximately 50 staff when all part and full time staff are considered. These include classroom teachers, specialists, aides, administration staff and our school psychologist.
Playground space is divided into three areas – a main playground area, a smaller junior playground and an area comprised of three all weather tennis courts that are utilised as play space during school hours.
Parent involvement in the school is encouraged. Parents participate in the school in many ways, both formally, through representation on the Board and Committees, and informally, through assistance both inside and outside the classroom. The school operates a School Board, a Parents and Friends Committee, a Family Support Group, an Out of School Hours Program (in partnership with OSHCLUB), Parent Class Representatives and a Tuckshop Committee.
St. Therese’s Parish is a feeder for St. Bernard’s College
(a secondary school for boys), St. Columba’s College and Ave Maria College (both secondary schools for girls). The majority of St. Therese’s School students apply to these schools, however, a small number of students are seeking other options, largely due to an increasing pressure on enrolments at Catholic secondary schools in this area and fears of not getting a place in Year Seven.